Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  January 26, 2011 10:00pm-12:00am EST

10:00 pm
a real pleasure. tomorrow night, the sisters kardashian. >> we are smart enough to understand that having a tv show and a successful reality show is just a platform where people can kind of, you know, get to know us on a personal level, but for us, we've always been about the business. >> that's the kardashian sisters coming up tomorrow night. for now, anderson cooper and "ac 360." piers, thank you very much. tonight on "360," keeping them honest. a coin company profiting off 9/11. are there commemorative coins a scam? the company is accused of making false claims, they say they use silver from ground zero. controversy over a bible themed amusement park. the state of kentucky is giving
10:01 pm
them tax incentives. should they? it's a fiery debate. a battle over bullying. a teacher in trouble for calling cops on a 7-year-old she said was threatening other students. did she go too far? dr. phil weighs in. we begin with a company profiting off the horror of 9/11 and doing it in a way some say are false and abhorrent. maybe you've seen the ads or looked at the we believe site. it's called the national collector's mint. they're selling coins, here's one of them, billed as the official first responder's 10th anniversary world trade center commemorative. they say it's clad in .999 pure silver which they claim was recovered from ground zero, from the vault underneath the ashes. they sell these coins for $29.95 and the company bills them as only available to collectors. you might have heard that the 9/11 memorial museum is issuing
10:02 pm
coins to finance the memorial. after all, it says national collector's mint and official commemorative. there's even a second version that says $1 on it. but it's one liberian dollar and there's a third version advertised. take a look. >> 10th anniversary september 10th commemorative, featuring separate sculptures of the "uss new york" and the trade towers. each entirely clad in .999 pure silver actually recovered from underneath the ashes of ground zero. it is minted under an exclusive license authorizing the striking of the official department of justice fbi insignia. with our promise, justice will prevail. each comes with a certificate of authenticity. >> wow. sounds very official, right?
10:03 pm
keeping them honest, if you were paying close attention to the fine print at the end of the ad, you would know that things are not quite what they seem. take another look at the end here. it says this is not affiliated or endorsed by the u.s. government or the u.s. mint. certainly not the impression one gets from the sales pitch. the same is true of the web ads. that gold and silver, 14 milligrams each. sounds precise, but what is a milligram? it's one thousandth of a gram. and what about the silver? two u.s. lawmakers from new york say there's no evidence for that claim, none. we asked them for evidence, they say they have it. they haven't shown it to us or anyone else that we can find. and what about the official sounding national collector'sment? well, turns out it gets an f from the better business bureau, a failing grade citing numerous complaints. it's also a company with a
10:04 pm
history. six years ago, the national collector's mint paid out millions in refunds over ads for something called a freedom tower silver dollar. clearly this is not their first attempt to profit off 9/11. in a statement, the company said it's doing nothing wrong. "o they also say the company has donated $2 million in sales to 9/11 related charities. that may be. but they aren't donating all the profits. they are making a lot of money. there's a warning about their 9/11 coins up right now on the u.s. government's official website. it says the on-- >> so any medals being advertised are not official. joining me now, one of the
10:05 pm
lawmakers who wants the federal trade commission to shut them down is congressman, is this legit? >> of course it's not legit. i wrote the bill in the house that created the national 9/11 memorial medal. $10 of which will go to -- for every single one of them sold will go to the memorial and museum. this national collector's mint is a total fraud. >> they say they're official, authorized. >> official applies official by the united states government. it is not. they say that they're authorized by the secret service protective bureau or something like that, applying that is the united states secret service, it is not. they have no standing whatsoever and they've done the same thing, as you pointed out six years ago. they were fined $2 million but profited $11 million.
10:06 pm
>> so they're making millions off of these things. >> i assume they're making a lot of money off this total scam. and the silver and gold they claim is 14 whatever is worth about 60 cents. >> you've asked for evidence that this comes from ground zero. >> we've asked for evidence of that. we've not seen any such evidence. we've asked the federal trade commission to shut them down and investigate criminal penalties against them, because this is clearly a fraud. >> what do you make of this? you were one of the key officials involved in recovering gold and silver at ground zero. you say these ads make your blood boil. >> yes, mr. cooper. good evening, congressman nadler. back in october of 2001, we were well aware of the location of this vault that was owned and managed by the bank of nova scotia underneath the world trade center.
10:07 pm
part of my job was to coordinate a retrieval and recovery plan to remove all the contents of that vault, to move it from the ground zero area over to another location, which at that time was another vault in brooklyn. >> what about these ads make you so angry? >> well, you know, i lost friends and colleagues on 9/11. i worked down at ground zero for 14 months. i was heavily involved with much of the recovery operations. i worked with a great team of people with oem and other city agencies. just to hear -- i've heard these ads for years, and it's always bothered me, but i always figured what can you do? but right before christmas when i heard the latest ad, when they continue to mention that the silver and gold was found from a vault underneath the ground -- under the ground zero area, i knew in fact that i was directly
10:08 pm
involved in getting all that property moved from the bank of nova scotia's vault from ground zero to another vault. every bit of that property was removed. >> if these guys really have the evidence that this silver is from ground zero, you would think they would present it. >> first of all, given what the officer just said, they can't have any such evidence, because every ounce of gold and silver that was present there was recovered, moved and accounted for. therefore, they're lying. >> it's possible that they purchased the silver that was later owned by the bank in nova scotia. but if they had done that, you would think they would present this evidence. >> they would have evidence and proof. of course, these are people that demonstrated a history of fraud. >> can you shut these people down? >> the federal trade commission can, and we've asked they do just that. as they did to them in 2004. >> captain, have you ever tried to contact this company or -- do you hear people who are buying
10:09 pm
these coins? what do you tell people who think maybe they want to buy these coins? >> i've never heard of anyone buying the coins. i never had any need to contact the company directly. >> what would you tell someone who is thinking about buying one of these coins? >> i would tell them not to, definitely not to. >> i would tell them wait for the official coin medals to be issued by the united states mint in a few months and they will be sold for the cost of minting them, plus $10, which will go to the museum. >> did you know about these coins that were being sold years ago, these freedom tower coins? >> i remember hearing about them. >> this company has a record of doing this. >> they have an absolute record of doing this and it's in total disregard to the truth. >> do we know how much they've already made from these new coins? >> i think i read -- from the new coins, we do not. i read they made $11 million and fined $2 million in 2004.
10:10 pm
>> we'll continue to follow this. thank you very much for being with us. let us know what you think. the live chat is up and running right now. up next, a creationist theme park with a giant model after noah's ark. the question is, should the state of kentucky be giving tax breaks to build it? it's an emotional and tense debate coming up. also, tonight's "ridicu-list." congressman dennis kucinich suing a congressional cafeteria because he bit into an olive pit in a sandwich. guess how much he's suing for? what are you working on, isha? >> i'll have an update on the condition of congresswoman gabrielle giffords just ahead. also, anderson, there's a new study out on how men and women watch the news. so check this out. when an attractive individual is on the screen, can you guess
10:11 pm
which of the sexes retains less information? >> i'm not even going to guess. we'll hear from you shortly. isha, thanks. see your lexus dealer.
10:12 pm
10:13 pm
tonight, a biblical based
10:14 pm
theme park is creating controversy. it's about whether the government is too involved helping build a noah's ark. a bible park is being planned for northern kentucky with a full scale noah's ark tourist attraction and could get millions in tax incentives from the state. it's supposed to open in 2014. it's for profit and privately funded. >> let me express why state government and local officials in not just grant county but the numerous surrounding counties are so excited. the numbers alone tell the tale. this is a $150 million investment that is projected to create nearly 900 jobs, including almost 550 full-time jobs. >> all right, certainly a lot of jobs. there's about 12% unemployment in the area. here's what we know who is behind the theme park. a group called ark encounter llc
10:15 pm
is partnering with answers in genes genesis, which built the creation museum. we don't know who specifically is investing in the ark encounter project or how much it will get in tax incentives. state officials estimate the park could get $37 million after it opens and starts generating tourist revenue. the state's transportation department may have to widen exits off the interstate. but the main point of controversy is this -- how close is too close for comfort when there's a religious park being built and the government is helping at all? it's an interesting debate. i spoke with senior legal analyst jeffrey toobin and barry lynn, and ken hamm, president of answers in genesis. mr. hamm, do you see this park as part of a ministry,
10:16 pm
essentially a church or purely business? >> well, actually the ark encounter is a profit organization that is set up to give a particular view of biblical history. it's a park about biblical history centered around noah's ark. so it is going to be financed by a number of businessmen, as well as the ministry of answers in genesis is a member of the profit organization. >> mr. lynn, what about that? if it's a religious themed business, why be treated differently than any other different? >> it's a ministry, it really is. they say this to convince the world, including those of us in america, that there is a literal truth to the bible and that includes the literal truth of the story of a worldwide flood and noah's ark. so i would be hard pressed to find anyone who looks at this project and doesn't see this as a ministry. that's precisely what's wrong
10:17 pm
with the government of kentucky, the state helping to subsidize it. >> mr. hamm, are you trying to convert people here? >> you know, first of all, it's not answers in genesis that owns the ark encounter. it's a profit organization, answers in genesis is just a member, you need to understand that. secondly, the government of kentucky is not subsidizing the ark encounter. they have an economic incentive program available for anyone. in fact, they can't have viewpoint discrimination as barry lynn would like to have. because of the economic incentive program, we, like anyone else, if we fulfill the criteria of that, and there are five criteria, it doesn't involve the state endorsing any particular religion or anything like that. in fact, the ark encounter is not a religion. it is a theme park centered around biblical history and the state is not going to have viewpoint discrimination. >> no, no, but see, that is fundamentally wrong. the truth of the matter is that
10:18 pm
this park, whether it's partially private or partially for profit, it is promoting the one thing that the other groups getting subsidies don't, and that is religious viewpoints. i was horrified when the governor of kentucky stands up there with folks from this ark park and basically gives his blessing to what let's just call them unorthodox ideas from answers in genesis. answers in genesis does believe the earth is 6,000 years old, believes that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time, only true in the flint stones. and also believes there were really unicorns. i don't think that the weight of the state of kentucky should be asking anyone directly or indirectly to subsidize these ideas. mr. hamm can have those ideas, this is america. please don't ask everybody to help you pay for that. >> jeff, what do you think?
10:19 pm
is this a freedom of expression? >> it's certainly freedom of religion issue, but i think it's a really hard question, because the courts for one thing have not been clear in this area. but if you strip away the rhetoric, what the courts have said is something -- the government can't sponsor something if the primary purpose is to advance religion. what is the primary purpose of this amusement park? is this just like disney world, which is essentially secular or more like a church? and this is some sort of hybrid. i don't know how the courts would look at it. in recent years, the courts have generally been more accommodating of government sponsorship of religion, of parochial schools, soup kitchens. so my sense is they would probably uphold it. >> mr. hamm, what do you say to critics who believe that the sate is essentially giving their blessing to this and yet it goes
10:20 pm
against some of the educational goals that the state has set for itself? >> i think what you've got to do is first of all look at the -- i'm not an attorney, of course, but we have obviously consulted with some very experienced constitutional attorneys who do not believe this has anything to do with the separation of church issue, with the establishment clause or anything like that. and the economic incentive is for companies to come in and particularly for tourism, come in, and to provide something that will bring money into the state. i mean, this is going to provide 900 jobs at the park, an estimated 14,000 jobs in the ripple effect, bringing $250 million to the state in the first year, $4 billion over ten years. >> your critics say those job numbers are false, or unproven. >> well, they can say whatever they want, but we have a track
10:21 pm
record already as an organization at the creation museum, and we also are using the state's own figures in regard to ripple effects and we've done a lot of research by high quality people. >> anderson, every time there's a bond issue in order to build a sports stadium somewhere, there are always people with these numbers. they say put out a bond, help the -- the government will help pay for this stadium and look at all the collateral economic benefit. there is no place where that has worked. it will not work here, and i suspect that this is just one of the arguments. to me, the central argument -- >> anderson -- >> let mr. lynn finish. >> look, the first time the ark was launched, noah did it without any government subsidy. i can't imagine why this ark and park endeavor in kentucky cannot be paid for by the private good will of the people who support the theology that's behind this. and jeffrey, i agree with you,
10:22 pm
if this was not really a ministry, it would in my judgment be a tougher question. but sit a ministry and we know that from the very documents about this primary partner called answers in genesis. >> mr. hamm, your chance to respond. >> okay, actually it's a profit organization of which answers in genesis is a member. what we need to understand is that the tourism development act in kentucky lists five criteria, which any organization can apply for. and if they fulfill those five criteria, then what the state does, they do their own independent study. in fact, we have just paid $74,000 for this independent study that will determine whether it fulfills those five criteria. if it does, then the tax incentives -- it's not a subsidy for the whole park. it's a tax incentive to bring something like this into the state so it brings lots of money into the state.
10:23 pm
>> maybe it only subsidizes the unicorns. >> it's because it happens to be a biblical theme park with a biblical theme, then barry lynn and those in his group want this discriminated against. whereas the state has not discriminated against any group who wants to fulfill those criteria. >> i thought you both explained your positions incredibly well. thank you very much. good discussion. well, still ahead, a story that proves how complicated the issue of bullying is. a california teacher placed on leave for calling parents about a bully in her class and calling police. she says school officials weren't reacting quickly enough, so she took action on her own. dr. phil weighs in ahead. >> if she had not done something and in fact the child had shown up at school with a gun and done something, she could be criticized for that. so in many respects these teachers who are wanting to do the right thing are kind of in a position where they can't move
10:24 pm
and can't stand still. also tonight, caught on tape. a not so brilliant escape attempt, jumping out of a patrol car, handcuffed. crazy. we'll show you ma happened. that's tonight's "shot" ahead. i like to make my own investment decisions. excuse me, what is that? oh, i'm a fidelity customer. okay, but what does it do? well, it gets me the tools and research i need to help me make informed decisions. with fidelity, i can invest in stocks, bonds, all at a great price. wow. yeah, wow. ♪ [ male announcer ] fidelity investments. turn here. colace capsules stool softener helps ease straining to make going easier. try colace capsules for effective comfortable relief
10:25 pm
from occasional constipation. save $3 right now. go to getconstipationrelief.com. save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance?really was abe lincoln honest? mary: does this dress make my backside look big? abe: perhaps... save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance?really host: is having a snowball fight with pitching great randy johnson a bad idea? man: yeah, i'm thinking maybe this was a bad idea.
10:26 pm
10:27 pm
[ male announcer ] while others are content to imitate, we'll continue to innovate. the lexus rx. why settle for a copy when you can own the original? see your lexus dealer.
10:28 pm
still to come, a california teacher suspended after calling cops on a 7-year-old she says was a bully. did she go too far or did her bosses who suspended her? dr. phil joins me shortly. first, isha has a "360" bulletin. more protests in the streets of egypt today. several demonstrators were beaten and dragged away in cairo. thousands have demanded the removal of president barack. at least four people have been killed and more than 100 security forces injured. law enforcement sources working on the case against alleged tucson gunman jared lee loughner say he spent time learning about political killers. he's accused of trying to assassinate congresswoman gabrielle giffords. her condition has been upgraded to good from serious.
10:29 pm
the department of homeland security is doing away with the color coded terror alert system. it will replace it starting in april with a more tightly focused location specific approach. the announcement is expected tomorrow. michael vick has signed his first paid endorsement deal. on equal technology, who will pay him an undisclosed amount of cash to pitch their shop absorbing pads which he used this sb. and a new study suggests sexy female anchors distract male viewers to the point they can't remember the news. they discovered male viewers retained more when the woman wasn't wearing bright lipstick
10:30 pm
and tight clothing. i have a feeling that's going to haunt me. >> i heard everything you said. i absorbed it. it was a total setup for a joke. >> but can i also say, just for the men at home who are feeling we're bashing them that the survey didn't test women and how they respond when you say, have george clooney on the screen reading the news. >> they should test that, as well. >> it's imperative. this is an amazing picture. not a good idea. take a look. this suspect, hands cuffed behind his back. he climbs out an open window while the car is moving. apparently convinced an officer to unroll the window by saying he's going to vomit. place say he was brought to a local hospital. he had minor injuries. >> that's some serious road burns he got. he must have really wanted to get away, because that's really dumb. still to come, congressman
10:31 pm
dennis kucinich suing over a sandwich he ate three years ago, claiming significant pain and loss of enjoyment because he bit into an olive with a pit in it. it's our "ridicu-list" tonight. and just try to guess how much he's going to sue for? also tonight, a teacher worried about a 7-year-old bully in her class, calls the parents of his classmates and calls the cops. did she go too far or the school? i'll talk to dr. phil about that ahead. >> i don't think she meant any harm here, and i think we need to make clear that this was way overstated. i don't think this boy was going to come to school and shoot people. did she need to react to snit of course she did. but come on, i think we need to calm down. [ william ] three years ago, i started my first real job
10:32 pm
as a part time sales associate with walmart. when william came in i knew he had everything he needed to be a leader in this company. [ william ] after a couple of months, i was promoted to department manager. like, wow, really? me? a year later, i was promoted again. walmart even gave me a grant for my education. recently, he told me he turned down a job at one of the biggest banks in the country. this is where i want to be. i fully expect william will be my boss one day. my name is william and i work at walmart. ♪
10:33 pm
and waiting in line. i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announcer ] with stamps.com, you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. it gives you the exact amount of postage you need the instant you need it. can you print only stamps? no. first class. priority mail. certified. international. and the mailman picks it up. i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4-week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
10:34 pm
10:35 pm
keeping them honest tonight on bullying. we devote a lot of time to the issue because some kids are being bullied to death. in too many cases, no one steps up in time to stop it. we've seen that time and time again. this time, though, somebody did take action based on their concerns. a teacher took action, but then
10:36 pm
took heat for what she did. some believe she went too fast and too far, violating a child's privacy and school policy. others are thanks her. two sides here, no easy answers. you can decide for yourself. we're talking about this woman, elaine brown, a second grade teacher in central california. there's late word on her case tonight. but to start at the beginning, she was a teach we are a problem child. as she saw it, a serious danger to his classmates. she spoke one by one with the kids that he was allegedly bullying. >> one was a boy he pushed off the high slide, one was called an "f"-ing loser on the play ground. one was spat upon and one of the worst ones was a child was told that he was going to bring a gun to school and shoot and kill him. >> alarmed by the child's behavior and afraid for his classmates, she brought her concerns to parents, the school district and the principal. she says officials didn't act quickly enough. two days later, she called the
10:37 pm
sheriff's office seeking a restraining order. next day she received a letter of reprimand from the school and put on paid leave. did she act in haste and violate a child's right to privacy? state guidelines require a teacher notify the parents of both the target and bully. she says she did that, but the school says she went too far. the school says it has an anti-bullying program in place, but not all parents agree that enough is being done. >> the school policy about dealing with bullies and this particular child is not working, because my nephew was beat up by this person again today. >> if i had a student in that class, whether or not they were affected by the bully, i would like to know there's a bully there. >> as for ms. brown's fellow teachers, they put out a statement supporting the school, not supporting her. at no time as -- we ask you to
10:38 pm
seek out the facts before making assumptions based on limited sources. ms. brown says her colleagues were under pressure to say that. >> there was intimidation involved and think about what would happen if a teacher didn't say that. the principal, who has been known to not always do the right thing towards people who go against her, suddenly they would be a target. >> there's a late development in the story tonight. after a public outcry and internal investigation, the school announced they were going to reinstate ms. brown today. ms. brown says she's glad she did what she did. >> i think bringing this to light is going to help a lot. again, this isn't about demonizing one child, this is about getting the message out that we need to be proactive when signs arise so we can make
10:39 pm
sure that it doesn't escalate. >> elaine brown tonight. i talked about the case and the tricky problem of balancing student safety and privacy with dr. phil. this is a complex issue. the teacher claims she was acting out of concern for the safety of her students. the school says she should have followed the procedures they had in place. what do you make of snit >> well, obviously this is an emotional issue, especially right now on the heels of what's happened in arizona, as far back as columbine. we have the virginia tech situation. i think sometimes people do get emotional in these situations. think about it on -- in the alternative, anderson. if she had not done something and, in fact, a child had shown up at school with a gun and done something, she could be criticized for that. in many respects these teachers, who are very dedicated and wanting to do the right thing are kind of in a position where they can't move and can't stand still.
10:40 pm
should she have talked about this to other parents instead of going directly to the parents and do her administrators? probably not. probably not the best idea. but what i hate is that this teacher has been suspended. i mean, we all need to calm down here and recognize that we're just trying to stay safe and keep our kids out of harm's way. >> the father of the accused bully now says that his son is actually also a victim of bullying, and i guess it highlights what we often hear from schools and experts which is sometimes a child can be both a bully and a victim. >> there's no question about that. what we do need to think about is what's the impact on this child. if he's being demonized in this way and people are sending him messages or talking about them, you know, i don't want this to become some self-fulfilling prophecy where he feels like he's an outcast and withdraws from school. everywhere in the country you go, you're going to find people
10:41 pm
that really want to do the right thing here. i've spent time kind of back home recently talking about all the things that have happened, and in the heartland, people want to do the right thing. that means we have to have common sense, calm down and think this through. why is this teacher suspended? i don't think she meant any harm here. and i think we need to make clear that this was way overstated. i don't think this boy was going to come to school and shoot people. did she need to react to it? of course she did. but come on, i think we need to calm down. >> it seems like the issue is kind of resolving itself. we've heard from the school she's going to be able to come back to school, restart her job and the school is reviewing their policies and trying to increase their training on bullying. so it does seem like cooler heads have prevailed once this has been investigated. >> anderson, i hope that's true. look, i'm a huge fan of teachers. these men and women don't get
10:42 pm
into this career for the money, because they are so underpaid as to be embarrassing. these are people that take money out of their own pocket to buy supplies for their home rooms and for their schools and lesson plans. we need to help them. we need to reach out and give them all the training, all the help and all the support that we can. and the same thing with this father of the son that made this comment. you know, we've got -- every bully in america needs help and counseling, not just punishment. every victim needs help and counseling. i think we have to say, look, everybody take a deep breath here and let's talk about what the ultimate impact on the children is. >> dr. phil, thanks. >> anderson, thank you. more from dr. phil ahead. a grocery store in arkansas facing criticism for covering a magazine using a shield that's usually for photos that are sexually provocative. what was on the cover? elton john and his new baby. details and dr. phil weigh in,
10:43 pm
next. a congressman sues over a bad sandwich over three years ago. you're not going to believe how much congressman dennis kucinich is suing for that lands him on tonight's "ridicu-list." we have that ahead. [ male announcer ] one look can turn the everyday into romantic. ♪ an accidental touch can turn ordinary into something more. moments can change anytime -- just like that. and when they do men with erectile dysfunction can be more confident in their ability to be ready with cialis for daily use. cialis for daily use is a clinically proven, low-dose tablet you take every day,
10:44 pm
so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. tell your doctor about your medical condition and all medications, and ask if you're healthy enough for sexual activity. don't take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. [ man ] don't drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache, or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, stop taking cialis and call your doctor right away. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if cialis for daily use is right for you. for a 30-tablet free trial offer, go to cialis.com. ♪ >> woman: good night,
10:45 pm
gluttony-- a farewell long awaited. good night, expected. >> ( yawning ) >> good night, outdated. >> ( click ) >> ( whimpers ) >> good night, fluffy. and good night, stuffy. >> ( clinking ) >> ( chewing ) >> good night, old luxury and all of your wares. good night, bygones everywhere. >> ( engine revs ) >> good morning, illumination. good morning, innovation. good morning, unequaled inspiration. >> ( heartbeats ) impressive resume. thank you. you know what, tell me, what makes peter, peter ? well, i'm an avid catamaran sailor.
10:46 pm
i can my own homemade jam, apricot. and i really love my bank's raise your rate cd. i'm sorry, did you say you'd love a pay raise asap ? uh, actually, i said i love my bank's raise your rate cd. you spent 8 days lost at sea ? no, uh... you love watching your neighbors watch tv ? at ally, you'll love our raise your rate cd that offers a one-time rate increase if our current rates go up. ally. do you love your bank ?
10:47 pm
tonight, a harp supermarket in arkansas has reversed its decision to sensor an image of elton john. that's the current issue of us weekly magazine. the store said some customers complained about the image, so it put that family shield over it, which is there to quote protect young harps shoppers. protect them from what? usually they're placed over racy magazine covers. in this case, it was covering up a family. that's the unsenscensored compa. today, the company said it's taken down the shields. i talked to dr. phil about it a short time ago. dr. phil, what do you make of this story out of arkansas, a supermarket putting up a family shield to block a cover photo of
10:48 pm
gay parents. apparently the store covered it up after some complained. what is your take? >> i think it's absolutely absurd. i just am so shocked that this is still happening. i mean, i know it's happening, but that's so very, very disapointing. you know, i know elton and you could not meet a nicer, more down-to-earth guy that will become a loving parent here. i hate that, and i hate he's having to hear all of this at a time of having so much joy in his life with this wonderful baby. come on, we're covering up the magazine cover because two gay men are celebrating their baby? take a deep breath. >> we should point out the president of the company that owns the store says it wasn't a corporate decision, it was just made at that particular location. it was the manager who made the decision, and they say the shield has now been taken down.
10:49 pm
but i guess, you know, a learning moment for a lot of people. >> well, really you said it, it's a learning moment. i hope it makes us all stop and think are we being reasonable about these things. i understand that the magazine was being sold in the other 65 locations. so it was one person making one decision in the moment. but maybe it's a constant reminder that we just need to be thinking about how much we're being judgmental of others and how much we just need to have a spirit of inclusion. >> dr. phil earlier tonight. here's a lot more going on. isha is back with a "360" bulletin. the northeast is getting walloped tonight by a fast-moving storm that's already caused hundreds of flight cancellations. from the southern appalachian mountains to coastal massachusetts, and new york are boston are bracing for 8 to 12 inches of snow. the food and drug
10:50 pm
administration has found a possible link between saline and silicone breast implants and a rare type of cancer. the fda says the risk is small, but significant. and it goes on to say it's asking all breast plant manufacturers to update their product labeling to reflect it. the dow and s&p 500 finished at their highest level since the number of 2008. the dow closed just under 12,000. and anderson, check out these pictures. it's kind of weird and creepy. a grand piano has misteers usely appeared on a sand bar. it's a new set of florida keys. >> yeah. >> i couldn't resist it. >> it's like -- i couldn't
10:51 pm
really get a good shot because my eyes are gone now. but has it been floating or something? >> it's completely broken up. it turned up there, so you can't bang out a tune. it just turned up. all sorts of theories saying is it a publicity prank or a jilted ex-lover. seems elaborate. >> did you just make that one up? >> sort of, kind of. do you have a problem with that? >> no. interesting theory there. this i find ridiculous which is why it's on the "ridicu-list." we welcome a new name to the "ridicu-list." congressman dennis kucinich of ohio. america's most courageous congressman, that's what it says right there on his website, what he calls himself, is on the list because he's courageously suing a congressional cafeteria. congressman kucinich bought a sand witch three years ago and bit into an olive pit.
10:52 pm
guess how much he's suing for? he's suing for $150,000. that's right, $150,000. you can buy 72,000 cans of olives for that money, we checked. kucinich is suing four different companies involved with the cafeteria. now, at first, i didn't actually believe this story and i was dropping things. so we checked the actual lawsuit and it says on or about april 17th, 2008, he bought a sand witch wrap and "said sandwich rap was unfit for hueman consumption. >> don't you love lawyer talk? first of all, where do you go when you get hit by a sandwich, the mayo clinic? would have been funnier if i said hurt by a sandwich.
10:53 pm
then i would have been funnier. thank you very much. try the veal. but not at the congressional cafeteria. seriously, the guy bit apolive pit in a sandwich that had olives in it. shocker. as far as i'm concerned, you buy olives, you take your chances. it's like buying seedless grapes. you never know until you bite into it. it's not like he bit into an anthrax apple, it was an olive. i'm sure no one planted this on purpose and this happened three years ago. isn't there a statute of limitations on pitted olives? the lawsuit says, plaintiff sustained serious and permanent dental and oral injuries, requiring multiple surgical and dental procedures and sustained other damages, as well. including significant pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment. come on, loss of enjoyment? loss of enjoyment? the guy lives in washington,
10:54 pm
d.c. who enjoys living there? as for serious permanent oral injuries, multiple surgical procedures, we found this online. here he is five days after the incident on the house floor. here he is four months later at the democratic convention, using his permanently injured mouth to bash the bush administration. >> they can track our every move, but they lost track of the economy while the cost of food, gasoline and electricity skyrockets. >> you know what also makes the price of food skyrocket? suing a cafeteria for $150,000 for making you a sand witch. how did he come one that amount? according to cosmetic sites, a basic dental implant at most is $3,000, which i assume would have been covered by his government dental insurance. oh, yeah, they have that.
10:55 pm
on 14caratteeth.com, they sell a nice grill that will run you about $300. i guess it's up pleasant to hurt you tooth biting into a pit and no one likes going to the dentist, but let's have a little perspective here. an olive pit in your sandwich? that's maybe a bad day. when did it become okay for a u.s. congressman to sue for three times what the average american makes in a year? he's sued his own book publisher for not doing enough to sell his autobiography. but this sandwich lawsuit is the most ridiculous. he declined our request for an interview, so we decided to order him a nice male from the olive garden and put him on tonight's "ridicu-list." a lot more ahead, starting with
10:56 pm
the scheme to sell official looking 9/11 memorial coins. some are calling it a scam. the company says they're doing nothing wrong. keeping them honest.
10:57 pm
10:58 pm
10:59 pm
tonight on "360," keeping them honest. a coin company profiting off 9/11.
11:00 pm
are their commemorative coins a scam? the company is accused of making false claims of what's in the coins. they say they use silver from ground zero. do they have proof? we're keeping them honest. controversy over a bible themed amusement park. they plan to build a full-sized noah's ark with dinosaurs and unicorns. the state of kentucky is giving them tax incentives. should they? it's an emotional and fiery debate you'll see tonight. a battle over bullying. a teacher in trouble for calling cops on a 7-year-old she said was bullying and threatening other students. did she go too far? dr. phil weighs in. we begin with a company profiting off the horror of 9/11 and doing it in a way some say are false and abhorrent. maybe you've seen the ads or looked a the website. it's called the national collector's mint. they're selling coins, here's one of them, billed as the official first responder's 10th anniversary world trade center commemorative. they say it's clad in .999 pure silver which they claim was recovered from ground zero, from
11:01 pm
the vault beneath the ashes of ground zero is the exact wording. they sell these coins for $29.95 and the company bills them as never released for circulation, available only to collectors. you might have heard that the 9/11 memorial museum is issuing coins to finance the memorial. so you night think, these are those coins. after all, it says national collector's mint and official commemorative. there's even a second version of the coin that cess $1 on it. but it's one liberian dollar and only legal in liberia. there's a third version we found advertised on tv. take a look. >> officially authorized 10th anniversary september 10th commemorative, featuring separate sculptures of the "uss new york" and the trade towers. inset with jeweller precision. each entirely clad in .999 pure silver actually recovered from beneath the ashes of ground zero. it is minted under an exclusive license authorizing the striking of the official department of justice fbi insignia.
11:02 pm
with our promise, justice will prevail. each comes with a certificate of authenticity. with triple verification confirming its 24 carat gold and .999 pure ground zero recovery silver consent. >> wow. sounds very official, right? keeping them honest, if you were paying close attention to the fine print at the end of the ad, you would know that things are not quite what they seem. take another look at the end here. it says this is not affiliated or endorsed by the u.s. government or the u.s. mint. certainly not the impression one gets from the sales pitch. the same is true of the web ads. that gold and silver, 14 milligrams each. sounds precise, but what is a milligram? it's one thousandth of a gram. and what about the silver coming from the ground zero vaults? two u.s. lawmakers from new york say there's no evidence for that claim, none. we asked the national
11:03 pm
collector'sment for evidence, they say they have it. they haven't shown it to us or anyone else that we can find. and what about the official sounding national collector's mint? well, turns out it gets an f from the better business bureau, a failing grade citing numerous complaints and failures to respond to even simple requests for information from the better business bureau. it's also a company with a history. six years ago, the national collector's mint paid out millions in refunds over ads for something called a freedom tower silver dollar. clearly this is not their first attempt to profit off 9/11. in a statement, the company said it's doing nothing wrong. they also say the company has donated $2 million in sales to 9/11 related charities. that may be. but they aren't donating all the profits. they are making a lot of money. there's a warning about their 9/11 coins up right now on the u.s. government's official website. it says --
11:04 pm
>> so any medals being advertised are not official. the mon dwli is not helping build the museum. joining me now, one of the lawmakers who wants the federal trade commission to shut them down is congressman nadler and via skype police captain tom duprisco. congressman, is this legit, what they're doing? >> of course it's not legit. i wrote the bill in the house that created the national 9/11 memorial medal. $10 of which will go to -- for every single one of them sold will go to the memorial and museum. this national collector's mint is a total fraud. >> they say they're official, authorized. >> official implies official by the united states government. it is not. they say that they're authorized
11:05 pm
by the secret service protective bureau or something like that, implying that it is the united states secret service, it is not. they have no standing whatsoever and they've done the same thing, as you pointed out six years ago. they were fined $2 million but profited $11 million. >> so they're making millions off of these things. >> they may very well be. i assume they're making a lot of money off this total scam. and the silver and gold they claim is 14 whatever is worth about 60 cents. >> you've asked for evidence that this comes from ground zero. >> we've asked for evidence of that. we've not seen any such evidence. we've asked the federal trade commission to shut them down and investigate criminal penalties against them, because this is clearly a fraud. >> officer duprisco, what do you make of this? you were one of the key officials involved in recovering gold and silver at ground zero. you say these ads make your blood boil. >> yes, mr. cooper. thank you very much for having me on the program. good evening, congressman nadler.
11:06 pm
back in october of 2001, we were well aware of the location of this vault that was owned and managed by the bank of nova scotia underneath the world trade center. part of my job was to coordinate a retrieval and recovery plan to remove all the contents of that vault, to move it from the ground zero area over to another location, which at that time was another vault in brooklyn. >> what about these ads make you so angry? >> well, you know, i lost friends and colleagues on 9/11. i worked down at ground zero for 14 months. i was heavily involved with much of the recovery operations. i worked with a great team of people with oem and other city agencies. just to hear -- i've heard these ads for years, and it's always bothered me, but i always
11:07 pm
figured what can you do? but right before christmas when i heard the latest ad, when they continue to mention that the silver and gold was found from a vault underneath the ground -- under the ground zero area, i knew in fact that i was directly involved in getting all that property moved from the bank of nova scotia's vault from ground zero to another vault. every bit of that property was removed. >> if these guys really have the evidence that this silver is from ground zero, you would think they would present it. >> first of all, given what the officer just said, they can't have any such evidence, because every ounce of gold and silver that was present there was recovered, moved and accounted for. therefore, they're lying. >> it's possible that they purchased the silver that was opened by the bank in nova scotia. but if they had done that, you would think they would present this evidence. >> they would have evidence and proof. of course, these are people that demonstrated a history of fraud.
11:08 pm
>> can you shut these people down? >> i think the federal trade commission can, and senator schumer and i have asked that they do just that. as they did to them in 2004. >> captain, have you ever tried to contact this company or -- do you hear people who are buying these coins? what do you tell people who think maybe they want to buy these coins? >> honestly, i've never run into win or heard of anyone buying the coins. i never had any need to contact the company directly. >> what would you tell someone who is thinking about buying one of these coins? >> i would tell them not to, definitely not to. >> i would tell them wait for the official coin medals to be issued by the united states mint in a few months and they will be sold for the cost of minting them, plus $10, which will go to the museum. >> did you know about these coins that were being sold years ago, these freedom tower coins? >> i remember hearing about them. >> this company has a record of doing this.
11:09 pm
>> they have an absolute record of doing this and it's in total disregard to the truth. >> do we know how much they've already made from these new coins? >> i think i read -- from the new. >> caller:s, no, we do not. i read they made $11 million and fined $2 million in 2004. >> we'll continue to follow this. congressman nadler, appreciate you being on. and captain, as well. thank you very much for being with us via skype. i appreciate you coming on to tell us what you guys did after 9/11. let us know what you think. the live chat is up and running right now. up next, a creationist theme park with a giant model of noah's ark complete with dinosaurs and unicorns. the question is, should the state of kentucky be giving tax breaks to build it? it's an emotional and tense debate coming up. also, tonight's "ridicu-list." congressman dennis kucinich suing a congressional cafeteria because three years ago he bit into an olive pit in a sandwich. guess how much he's suing for? what are you working on, isha? [instrumental music]
11:10 pm
11:11 pm
[instrumental music] seven years ago, i had this idea. to make baby food the way moms would. happybaby strives to make the best organic baby food. in a business like ours, personal connections are so important. we use our american express open gold card to further those connections. last year we took dozens of trips using membership rewards points to meet with the farmers that grow our sweet potatoes and merchants that sell our product. we've gone from being in 5 stores to 7,500. booming is using points to make connections that grow your business. [ both screaming ] i got into one of the most expensive schools
11:12 pm
in the country! [ male announcer ] when stress gives you heartburn with headache... alka-seltzer gives you relief fast. [ low male ] plop, plop. [ high male ] fizz, fizz. at usaa, this is our executive committee. this is our advisory board. our field research team. and our product development staff. we know military lives are different. we've been there. that's why our commitment to serve the financial needs of our military, veterans, and their families is without equal. and why, we'll always be there for you... both here... and here. usaa. for insurance, banking, investments, retirement and advice. we know what it means to serve. let us serve you.
11:13 pm
tonight, a biblical based theme park is creating controversy. it's about whether the government is too involved helping build a noah's ark. a bible park is being planned for northern kentucky with a full scale noah's ark tourist attraction and could get millions in tax incentives from the state. it's supposed to open in 2014. the park is for profit and privately funded. but democratic governor steve bashir said the government is very excited about it and explained why. >> let me express why state government and local officials in not just grant county but the numerous surrounding counties are so excited. the numbers alone tell the tale. this is a $150 million investment that is projected to create nearly 900 jobs,
11:14 pm
including almost 550 full-time jobs. >> all right, certainly a lot of jobs. local reports say there's about 123% unemployment in the area. here's what we know who is behind the theme park. a group called ark encounter llc is partnering with answers in genesis, which built the creation muz yum in petersburg, kentucky, with pages from the bible. we don't know who specifically is investing in the ark encounter project or how much it will get in tax incentives. state officials estimate the park could get $37 million after it opens and starts generating tourist revenue. there could be some incidental costs the taxpayers may have to indirectly pick up. the state's transportation department may have to widen exits off the interstate. to accommodate the project. but the main point of controversy is this -- how close is too close for comfort when there's a religious park being built and the government is helping at all? it's an interesting debate. it's an emotional one. i spoke with senior legal analyst jeffrey toobin and barry
11:15 pm
lynn, the founder of americans united for separation of church and state, and ken ham, president of answers in genesis usa, and the creation museum. mr. ham, do you see this park as part of a ministry, essentially a church or purely business? >> well, actually the ark encounter is a profit organization that is set up to give a particular view of biblical history. it's a park about biblical history centered around noah's ark. so it is going to be financed by a number of businessmen, as well as the ministry of answers in genesis is a member of the profit organization. >> mr. lynn, what about that? if it's a religious themed business, why should it be treated differently than any other business? >> it's a ministry, it really is. it's purpose is -- the website says to convince the world, including those of us in america, that there is a literal truth to the bible and that
11:16 pm
includes the literal truth of the story of a worldwide flood and noah's ark. so i would be hard pressed to find anyone who looks at this project and doesn't see this as a ministry. that's precisely what's wrong with the government of kentucky, the state helping to subsidize it. >> mr. ham, are you trying to convert people here? >> you know, first of all, it's not answers in genesis that owns the ark encounter. the ark encounter is a profit organization. answers in genesis is just a member, you need to understand that. secondly, the government of kentucky is not subsidizing the ark encounter. they have an economic incentive program available for anyone. in fact, they can't have viewpoint discrimination as barry lynn would like to have. because of the economic incentive program, we, like anyone else, if we fulfill the criteria of that, and there are five criteria, it doesn't involve the state endorsing any particular religion or anything like that. in fact, the ark encounter is not a religion.
11:17 pm
it is a theme park centered around biblical history and the state is not going to have viewpoint discrimination. just because it's a theme park centered around biblical history. >> no, no, but see, that is fundamentally wrong. the truth of the matter is that this park, whether it's partially private or partially for profit, it is promoting the one thing that the other groups getting subsidies don't, and that is a specific religious viewpoint. aside from the legal issues, i was horrified when the governor of kentucky stands up there with folks from this ark park and basically gives his blessing to what let's just call them unorthodox ideas from answers in genesis. answers in genesis does believe the earth is 6,000 years old, believes that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time, only true in the "printstones." and also believes there were really unicorns. i don't think that the weight of the state of kentucky should be
11:18 pm
asking anyone directly or indirectly to subsidize these ideas. mr. ham can have those ideas, this is america. please don't ask everybody to help you pay for that. >> let me bring in jeffrey toobin for a second. jeff, what do you think? is this a freedom of expression? >> it's certainly freedom of religion issue, but i think it's a really hard question, because the courts for one thing have not been clear in this area. but if you strip away the rhetoric, what the courts have said is something -- the government can't sponsor something if the primary purpose is to advance religion. what is the primary purpose of this amusement park? is this just like disney world, which is essentially secular or more like a church? and this is some sort of hybrid. i don't know how the courts would look at it. in recent years, the courts have generally been more accommodating of government sponsorship of religion, of parochial schools, soup kitchens.
11:19 pm
so my sense is they would probably uphold it. whether it's a good idea or not is a separate issue. >> mr. ham, what do you say to critics who believe that the state is essentially giving their blessing to this, and yet it goes against some of the educational goals that the state has set for itself? >> i think what you've got to do is first of all look at the -- i'm not an attorney, of course, but we have obviously consulted with some very experienced constitutional attorneys who do not believe this has anything to do with the separation of church issue, with the establishment clause or anything like that. and the economic incentive is for companies to come in and particularly for tourism, come in, and to provide something that will bring money into the state. i mean, this is going to provide 900 jobs at the park, an estimated 14,000 jobs in the ripple effect, bringing $250 million to the state in the first year, $4 billion over ten years.
11:20 pm
>> your critics say those job numbers are false, or unproven. >> well, they can say whatever they want, but we have a track record already as an organization at the creation museum, and we also are using the state's own figures in regard to ripple effects and we've done a lot of research by high quality people. >> anderson, every time there's a bond issue in order to build a sports stadium somewhere, there are always people with these numbers. they say put out a bond, help the -- the government will help pay for this stadium and look at all the collateral economic benefit. there is no place where that has worked. it will not work here, and i suspect that this is just one of the arguments. to me, the central argument -- >> anderson -- >> let mr. lynn finish. then i'll let you. >> look, the first time the ark was launched, noah did it without any government subsidy.
11:21 pm
i can't imagine why this ark and park endeavor in kentucky cannot be paid for by the private good will of the people who support the theology that's behind this. and jeffrey, i agree with you, if this was not really a ministry, it would in my judgment be a tougher question. but it is a ministry and we know that from the very documents about this primary partner called answers in genesis. >> mr. ham, i want to give you a chance to respond and we have to leave it there. >> okay, actually it's a profit organization of which answers in genesis is a member. what we need to understand is that the tourism development act in kentucky lists five criteria, which any organization can apply for. and if they fulfill those five criteria, then what the state does, they do their own independent study. in fact, we have just paid $74,000 for this independent study that will determine whether it fulfills those five criteria. if it does, then the tax incentives -- it's not a subsidy
11:22 pm
for the whole park. most of the money comes from private individuals to build this. it's a tax incentive to bring something like this into the state so it brings lots of money into the state. >> maybe it only subsidizes the unicorns. >> it's because it happens to be a biblical theme park with a biblical theme, then barry lynn and those in his group want this discriminated against. whereas the state has not discriminated against any group who wants to fulfill those criteria. >> i thought you both explained your positions incredibly well. thank you very much. good discussion. well, still ahead, a story that proves how complicated the issue of bullying is. a california teacher placed on leave for calling parents about a bully in her class and calling police. she says school officials weren't reacting quickly enough, so she took action on her own. dr. phil weighs in ahead. >> if she had not done something
11:23 pm
and in fact the child had shown up at school with a gun and done something, she could be criticized for that. so in many respects these teachers who are wanting to do the right thing are kind of in a position where they can't move and can't stand still. up next, building up america. see how a popular city for tourists is trying to attract younger residents. ♪ [ sneezes ] [ male announcer ] got a cold? [ coughs ] ♪ [ male announcer ] confused what to get? now robitussin makes it simple. click on the robitussin relief finder at robitussin.com. [ nose blowing ] [ male announcer ] click on your symptoms. ♪ get the right relief. ♪ makes the cold aisle easy. the robitussin relief finder it's that simple.
11:24 pm
had a tree that bore the most rare and magical fruit, which provided for their every financial need. [ thunder rumbling ] [ thunder crashing ] and then, in one blinding blink of an eye, their tree had given its last. but with their raymond james financial advisor, they had prepared for even the unthinkable. ♪ and they danced. see what a raymond james advisor can do for you.
11:25 pm
and waiting in line. i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore. [ male announcer ] with stamps.com, you can print real u.s. postage for all your letters and packages. it gives you the exact amount of postage you need the instant you need it. can you print only stamps? no. first class. priority mail. certified. international. and the mailman picks it up. i don't leave the shop anymore. [ male announcer ] get a 4-week trial plus $100 in extras including postage and a digital scale. go to stamps.com/tv and never go to the post office again.
11:26 pm
11:27 pm
they're building up america's series tonight. how one city is tackling a big problem, keeping their young residents from leaving. >> reporter: santa fe is one of the oldest settlements in all of the west and it draws thousands of older tourists interested in all that history. that's good for some businesses but not so much for some young professionals. >> i've been here about seven years and every summer i see about a dozen friends move on for jobs or more opportunity, more exciting places like new york, portland, places like that. >> reporter: that's where mix comes in. these are the founding members and this is mix.
11:28 pm
part social club, part town hall meeting. mix is a once is month party which young people are urged to meet, have fun, and share ideas about what they want their community to be. >> the idea that if you get people involved in that, they feel more invested in the community and they want to invest their time here. >> reporter: to make that happen, mix, which has the backing of the city, poses a question or a challenge, which participants answer on video. the best answer gets a prize. kieran clark hopped up one night to explain how he used a $200 prize to help disadvantaged teens with job training, particularly in green industries. >> with $200, i would start a t-shirt company. >> reporter: he got the money. his group used it to make t-shirts to tell at the next event to raise more money to provide more training. everyone wins. >> we are trying to train these
11:29 pm
kids so they have a food ahead, maybe, when it comes down to finding a job in the green industry for them. they'll have the experience, hopefully. >> reporter: but mix gets something out of the process, too. a steady stream of information about what matters to the young people in this town. in many ways, this is really about a very old fashioned idea. getting people to invest in each other, pay attention to local schools, look at local issues, to settle down and call this home. >> it makes for a much more active, proactive and involved community. you get more responsive local government. >> reporter: it is remarkably simple idea, yet dozens of young people here will tell you it is working. like a real live internet chat room, connecting people and ideas across the spectrum. >> it feels like we're on the cusp of sort of a creative innovation based economy. i think that, you know, all it takes is a little nudge to get
11:30 pm
people together to realize their work can transform or enliven the place. >> reporter: or keep notoriously young, rst lest workers happy and here. tom foreman, cnn, santa fe. still to come, i don't know if you heard this, congressman dennis kucinich suing over a sandwich he ate three years ago claiming significant pain and lot of enjoyment because he bit into an olive that had a pit on it. it's our "ridicu-list." and we'll tell you how much he's going to sue for. just try to guess. also tonight, a teacher worried about a 7-year-old bully in her classicals the parents of his classmates and calls the cops. did she go too far or the school? i'll talk to dr. phil about that ahead. >> i don't think she meant any harm here. and i think we need to make clear that this was way overstated. i don't think this guy was going to come to school and shoot
11:31 pm
people. did she need to react to it? of course she did. but come on, i think we need to calm down. ♪
11:32 pm
i have clients say it's really hard to save for the future and they've come to a point where it's overwhelming. oh gee, i'm scared to tell you i've got this amount of credit card debt or i've got a 15-year-old
11:33 pm
and we never got around to saving for their college. that's when i go to work. we talk, we start planning. we can fix this. when clients walk out of my office they feel confident about their retirement. [ male announcer ] visit ameriprise.com and put a confident retirement more within reach.
11:34 pm
11:35 pm
keeping them honest tonight on bullying. we devote a lot of time to the issue because some kids are being bullied to death. taunted, beat and terrorized. some are taking their own lives. in too many cases, no one steps up in time to stop it. we've seen that time and time again. this time, though, somebody did take action based on their concerns. a teacher took action, but then took heat for what she did. some believe she went too fast and too far, violating a child's privacy and school policy. others are thanking her. two sides here, no easy answers. you can decide for yourself. we're talking about this woman, elaine brown, a second grade teacher in central california. there's late word on her case tonight. which we'll tell you about shortly. but to start at the beginning, she was a teacher with a problem child. as she saw it, a serious danger to his classmates. she spoke one by one with the kids that he was allegedly bullying.
11:36 pm
>> one was a boy he pushed off the high slide equipment on the ground. one was called an "f"-ing loser on the playground. one was spat upon and one of the worst ones was a child was told that he was going to bring a gun to school and shoot and kill him. >> alarmed by the child's behavior and afraid for his classmates, she brought her concerns to parents, the school district and the principal. she says officials didn't act quickly enough. two days later, she called the sheriff's office seeking a restraining order, but learned that they don't apply to young kids. next day she received a letter of reprimand from the school and put on paid leave. the question tonight, was she punished for doing the right thing or did she act in haste and violate a child's right to privacy? state guidelines require a teacher notify the parents of both the target and bully. ened attempt resolution at school. she says she did that, but the school says she went too far. the school says it has an anti-bullying program in place,
11:37 pm
but not all parents agree that enough is being done. >> the school policy about dealing with bullies and this particular child is not working, because my nephew was beat up by this person again today. >> if i had a student in that class, whether or not they were affected by the bully, i would like to know there's a bully there. >> as for ms. brown's fellow teachers, they put out a statement supporting the school, not supporting her. it reads -- ms. brown says her colleagues were under pressure to say that. >> there was a core group of teachers there pushing it forward. so thereas intimidation involved. and think about what would happen if a teacher didn't find that. the principal, who has been known to not always do the right thing towards people who go
11:38 pm
against her, suddenly they would be a target. >> there's a late development in the story tonight. after a public outcry and internal investigation, the school announced they were going to reinstate ms. brown today. the superintendent saying he's disappointed she made a fuss about this to the media. ms. brown says she's glad she did what she did. >> i think bringing this to light is going to help a lot. again, this isn't about demonizing one child, this is about getting the message out that we need to be proactive when signs arise so we can make sure that it doesn't escalate. >> elaine brown tonight. i talked about the case and the tricky problem of balancing student safety and privacy with dr. phil mcgraw, host of tv's "dr. phil." this is a complex issue. the teacher claims she was acting out of concern for the safety of her students. the school says she should have followed the procedures they had in place. what do you make of it? >> well, obviously, this is an emotional issue, especially right now on the heels of what's happened in arizona, as far back as columbine.
11:39 pm
we have the virginia tech situation. i think sometimes people do get emotional in these situations. think about it on -- in the alternative, anderson. if she had not done something and, in fact, a child had shown up at school with a gun and done something, she could be criticized for that. in many respects these teachers, who are very dedicated and wanting to do the right thing are kind of in a position where they can't move and can't stand still. should she have talked about this to other parents instead of going directly to the parents and to her administrators? probably not. probably not the best idea. but what i hate is that this teacher has been suspended. i mean, we all need to calm down here and recognize that we're just trying to stay safe and keep our kids out of harm's way. >> the father of the accused bully now says that his son is actually also a victim of bullying, and i guess it highlights what we often hear from schools and experts which
11:40 pm
is sometimes a child can be both a bully and a victim. >> there's no question about that. what we do need to think about is what's the impact on this child. if he's being demonized in this way and people are sending him messages or talking about them, you know, i don't want this to become some self-fulfilling prophecy where he feels like he's an outcast and withdraws from school. i think everywhere in the country you go, you're going to find people that really want to do the right thing here. i've spent time kind of back home recently talking about all the things that have happened, and in the heartland, people want to do the right thing. that means we have to have common sense, calm down and think this through. why is this teacher suspended? i don't think she meant any harm here. and i think we need to make clear that this was way overstated. i don't think this boy was going to come to school and shoot people. did she need to react to it?
11:41 pm
of course she did. but come on, i think we need to calm down. >> it seems like the issue is kind of resolving itself. we've heard from the school she's going to be able to come back to school, restart her job and the school is reviewing their policies and trying to increase their training on bullying. so it does seem like cooler heads have prevailed once this has been investigated. >> anderson, i hope that's true. look, i'm a huge fan of teachers. these men and women don't get into this career for the money, because they are so underpaid as to be embarrassing. these are people that take money out of their own pocket to buy supplies for their home rooms and for their schools and lesson plans. we need to help them. we need to reach out and give them all the training, all the help and all the support that we can. and the same thing with this father of the son that made this comment. you know, we've got -- every bully in america needs help and
11:42 pm
counseling, not just punishment. every victim needs help and counseling. i think we have to say, look, everybody take a deep breath here and let's talk about what the ultimate impact on the children is. >> dr. phil, thanks. >> anderson, thank you. more from dr. phil ahead. a grocery store in arkansas facing criticism for covering a magazine using a shield that's usually for photos that are sexually provocative. what was on the cover? elton john and his new baby. details and dr. phil weigh in, next. a congressman sues over a bad sandwich over three years ago. he bit into an olive pit. you're not going to believe how much congressman dennis kucinich is suing for that lands him on tonight's "ridicu-list." we have that ahead. [waltz music]
11:43 pm
11:44 pm
[ male announcer ] in the event of a collision, the smartest thing you could do is cut the fuel supply... ♪ ...unlock the doors, and turn on the hazard lights. or better yet, get a car that automatically does it for you. ♪ ♪ requires more than wishful thinking.
11:45 pm
it requires determination and decisive action. go to e-trade and get unbiased analyst ratings and 24/7 help from award-winning customer support to take control of your finances and your life. tap into the power of revolutionary mobile apps. to trade wherever. whenever. life isn't fully experienced sitting idly by. neither is investing. e-trade. investing unleashed.
11:46 pm
tonight, a harp supermarket in arkansas has reversed its decision to sensor an image of elton john and his family. i want to show you what put this story in motion. it's hard to tell,.
11:47 pm
that's the current issue of "us weekly" magazine. the store said some customers complained about the image, so it put that family shield over it, which is there to quote protect young harps shoppers. the question is, protect them from what? usually they're placed over racy magazine covers. in this case, it was covering up a family. that's the unken soared company. an outraged customer tweeted the photo. today, the company said it's taken down the shields. i talked to dr. phil about it a short time ago. dr. phil, what do you make of this story out of arkansas, a supermarket putting up a family shield to block a cover photo of gay parents elton john and his newborn son. apparently the store covered it up after some complained. what is your take? >> i think it's absolutely une gave cli absurd.
11:48 pm
i just am so shocked that this is still happening. i mean, i know it's happening, but that's so very, very disappointing. you know, i know elton and you could not meet a nicer, more down-to-earth guy that will become a loving parent here. i hate that, and i hate he's having to hear all of this at a time of having so much joy in his life with this wonderful baby. come on, we're covering up the magazine cover because two gay men are celebrating their baby? take a deep breath. >> we should point out the president of the company that owns the store says it wasn't a corporate decision, it was just made at that particular location. it was the manager who made the decision, and they say the shield has now been taken down. but i guess, you know, a learning moment for a lot of people. >> well, really you said it, it's a learning moment. i hope it makes us all stop and think are we being reasonable about these things.
11:49 pm
i understand that the magazine was being sold in the other 65 locations. so it was one person making one decision in the moment. but maybe it's a constant reminder that we just need to be thinking about how much we're being judgmental of others and how much we just need to have a spirit of inclusion. >> dr. phil earlier tonight. here's a lot more going on. isha is back with a "360" news and business bulletin. the northeast is getting walloped tonight by a fast-moving storm that's already caused hundreds of flight cancellations. winter storm warnings are in effect from the southern appalachian mountains to coastal massachusetts, and new york are boston are bracing for 8 to 12 inches of snow. the food and drug administration has found a possible link between saline and silicone breast implants and a rare type of cancer. the fda says the risk is small, but significant. and it goes on to say it's
11:50 pm
asking all breast implant manufacturers to update their product labeling to reflect it. >> it was a danner day for stocks. the dow and s&p 500 finished at their highest level since the number of 2008. the dow closed just under 12,000. and anderson, check out these pictures. it's kind of weird and creepy. a grand piano has mysteriously appeared on a sand bar in miami's biscayne bay. it's about a half mile from show and they don't know how it got there. they also have no plans to move it. frank or not, it's a new set of florida keys. sorry. >> yeah. >> i couldn't resist it. you can't blame me. >> it's like -- i couldn't really get a good shot because my eyes are completely gone now. but is it all broken up? but has it been floating or something? >> it's completely broken up. it turned up there, so you can't bang out a tune. it just turned up.
11:51 pm
>> that's weird. >> all sorts of theorys are saying is it a publicity prank or a jilted ex-lover trying to get back at -- i don't know. seems a little elaborate. >> did you just make that one up? >> sort of, kind of. do you have a problem with that? >> no. interesting theory there. this i find ridiculous which is why it's on the "ridicu-list." we welcome a new name to the "ridicu-list." congressman dennis kucinich of ohio. he's not on the list for any political reason, no. america's most courageous congressman, that's what it says right there on his website, what he calls himself, is on the list because he's courageously suing a congressional cafeteria. congressman kucinich bought a sandwich three years ago and bit into an olive pit. that's right, you heard me, an olive pit, or pits. i'm not sure, he's not really sure. guess how much he's suing for? he's suing for $150,000. that's right, $150,000. you can buy 72,000 cans of olives for that money, we checked.
11:52 pm
kucinich is suing four different companies involved with the cafeteria. now, at first, i didn't actually believe this story and i was dropping things. so we checked the actual lawsuit and it says on or about april 17th, 2008, he bought a sandwich wrap and -- >> don't you love lawyer talk? first of all, where do you go when you get hit by a sandwich, the mayo clinic? would have been funnier if i said hurt by a sandwich. then i would have been funnier. thank you very much. try the veal. but not at the congressional cafeteria. seriously, the guy bit an olive pit in a sandwich that had olives in it. shocker.
11:53 pm
i'm not an olive fan, but as far as i'm concerned, you buy olives, you take your chances. it's like buying seedless grapes. you never know until you bite into it. it's not like he bit into an anthrax apple, it was an olive. i'm sure no one planted this on purpose and this happened three years ago. isn't there a statute of limitations on pitted olives? the lawsuit says, plaintiff sustained serious and permanent dental and oral injuries, requiring multiple surgical and dental procedures and sustained other damages, as well. including significant pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment. come on, loss of enjoyment? loss of enjoyment? the guy lives in washington, d.c. who enjoys living there? visiting, yes, but living? not so much. as for serious permanent oral injuries, multiple surgical procedures, we found this video online. here he is five days after the incident on the house floor. his mouth seems to be working
11:54 pm
just fine. here he is four months later at the democratic convention, using his permanently injured mouth to bash the bush administration. >> they can track our every move, but they lost track of the economy while the cost of food, gasoline and electricity skyrockets. >> you know what also makes the price of food skyrocket? suing a cafeteria for $150,000 for making you a sandwich. how did he come up with that amount, $150,000? according to cosmetic sites, a basic dental implant at most is $3,000, which i assume would have been covered by his government dental insurance. oh, yeah, they have that. on on 14caratteeth.com, they sell a nice grill that will run you about $300. look, congressman, i get that it's unpleasant to expect a nice, juicy olive and then hurt your tooth.
11:55 pm
no one likes going to the dentist, but let's have a little perspective here. an olive pit in your sandwich? that's a little bit of bad luck. that's maybe a bad day. when did it become okay for a u.s. congressman to sue for three times what the average american makes in a year? because he had a bad day? not surprisingly, this isn't the first congressman's first lawsuit. he's sued for not being on a ballot, sued for not being in a debate. he's sued his own book publisher for not doing enough to sell his autobiography. but this sandwich lawsuit is the most ridiculous. he declined our request for an interview, which put us in a pickle. so we decided to order him a nice male from the olive garden and put him on tonight's "ridicu-list." we'll be right back. hey smart, you book your room yet? nope. see, hotels.com has over 20,000 last minute deals every week. so i get a great deal, no matter how long i wait.
11:56 pm
yeah... i'm not very good at waiting... then we must train you to wait. [ bird squawks ] ♪ [ both scream ] it is time to book, grasshopper. [ male announcer ] now, it's ok to wait. get great deals. even at the last minute. hotels.com. be smart. book smart. for just $29.99 at red lobster. with fresh salads and biscuits. your choice of entrees.
11:57 pm
and an appetizer or a dessert to share. for a limited time at red lobster. >> man: diving to 4,000 meters. >> boy: go down, down, down. down. straight. go straight. no, to the right. to the right. >> go to the right, go to the right. >> whoa! >> whoa! >> what is that? >> man: well, that's a, uh... i don't know. >> whoa. >> can we call him blinky? >> woman: expert teaching. deeper learning. together, we are the human network. cisco.
11:58 pm
stamps.com is the best. i don't have to leave my desk and get up and go to the post office anymore.
11:59 pm

134 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on